Feed on

At the one year mark, it just should not be this hard to get out of the house. And most days it’s not. Most days either before or after Simon’s regularly scheduled nap, I put on our coats, him into the stroller, grab my keys and wallet, and off we go. One—two—three—out!

Then there are days like last Wednesday, when, heaven help me, it took several hours and three tries to manage this not-so-spectacular feat. How can that be? Here’s how:

9:30 a.m. Breakfast. We all eat oatmeal and enjoy ourselves downstairs after Simon has slept in unusually late.

10:30 Simon’s normal nap time. But he shows no signs of fatigue. So we play a bit downstairs. By 11:00, I decide it’s time to go out for a bit.

11:00 I grab Simon’s coat and go to dress him. Noxious sounds and smells emanate from him. Time to go upstairs for a diaper change.

11:15 On the changing pad, Simon starts to rub his eyes. He’s ready for that nap now.

11:15-12:00 Delayed morning nap.

12:00 Simon wakes up; I decide we’ll walk now right before lunch. Realize Simon is wet and go to change his diaper first.

12:15 Whilst being changed, Simon begins to cry and puts his fingers in his mouth. He’s hungry.

12:15-12:45 Lunch

12:45 While I clean up from lunch, Simon plays in the kitchen and scoots around. While my back is turned, he gets into the cat dish and makes a horrible mess.

1:00 I take the very messy baby upstairs to change his diaper and clothes.

1:20 Clothes changed. Diaper changed. Baby fed. We’re ready to go!

1:30 Just as I lower Simon into the stroller, he bucks, cries, and rubs his eyes some more. The morning nap wasn’t long enough.

1:30-2:20 SECOND morning nap or first afternoon nap, depending on your perspective.

2:30 He’s up and a bit pekkish. Time for a little snack.

2:45 At last, we are ready to suit up and go outside. Two naps, two meals, one change of clothes and three diaper changes later.

You just have to laugh. Thank goodness most days we’re in better synch than this

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.